Applying into French Immersion? Information available here:
IMPORTANT DATES TO REMEMBER
Parent Information Nights
- December 3, 2019 at 6:30 pm at Burnsview Secondary
- December 4, 2019 at 6:30 pm at South Delta Secondary
Application Dates & Deadlines
- Online applications will be available on January 6,2020 at 8:00 am
- Deadline for applications is January 25,2020 at 4:00 pm
- Application acceptance notification on February 11,2020
If you have application questions please contact:
The Opportunity is Yours!
French Immersion programs offered in Delta School District reflect Ministry of Education Policy. Delta recognizes that French Immersion programming benefits the cognitive and social development of students, as well as their opportunities for career advancement.
French Immersion is a separate program where instruction is offered in the French language for second language learners. The language of instruction from K-2 will be 100% in French. English Language Arts is gradually introduced into the classroom in Grade 3, and by Grade 7 students will receive 20% of their instruction in English. Instruction in the Immersion program will parallel the regular English program in structure, content and academic standards.
The major goal of French Immersion is to provide the opportunity for non-Francophone students to become bilingual in English and French. Upon successful completion of the French Immersion program, it is expected that students will be able to:
- participate easily in conversations in both official languages
- take post-secondary courses with French as the language of instruction
- accept employment where French is the language of the workplace